Developing a centre of disability expertise
Construction began in June on our new Care and Rehabilitation Centre (CRC). This centre, especially designed for QEF, will provide a fantastic, state-of-the-art hub of expertise for people with a wide range of disabilities. It will be the largest ever investment in our facilities, and the first new build in our 80+ year history.
Why do we need a new centre?
At QEF we work with a growing number of disabled people each year – from around 1,000 in 2012 to just over 5,000 in 2017. Demand for our expertise is rising every year. For example, there are more than 100,000 strokes in the UK each year (around one every five minutes*), and in 2014 approximately 956 people a day went to hospital with an acquired brain injury***.
The new centre will bring together our expert, multi-disciplinary care team under one roof in a hub of expertise, with access to the very latest assistive technology and therapy facilities.
We’ll be able to provide an increasingly person-centred service to disabled people, setting them goals for development to help them become more independent and rebuild their lives.
Increasing demand for services
- In the next 20 years the rate of first time strokes in people aged 45+ is expected to increase by 59%*
- The number of people surviving strokes in the same age group is expected to increase by 123%*
- Hospital admissions for motorcycle related injuries for 20-29 year olds have increased by 19.7% over ten years since 2006
- In the same period, hospital admissions for those aged over 50 have increased by 39% to 2,183 a year**
- Hospital admissions for acquired brain injuries have increased by 10% since 2005-6 **
- Someone is admitted to hospital every 90 seconds in the UK with an acquired brain injury, and every 3 minutes with a head injury***
* Stroke ‘State of the nation’ report, Feb 2018
** NHS Digital /The Times, 9 August 2018
To sponsor a room or therapy space, call 01372 841132 or email email@example.com
Every donation will help us build and equip the CRC. To donate please click here.
Or please consider setting up a direct debit.
Direct debits allow us to plan in a more efficient way, save us some administrative costs and let us set budgets with the reassurance that we have the income to back the decisions we make. If you are able to consider a regular gift to QEF, please click to download our Direct Debit Form.
While some UK charities have hundreds of thousands of people to call on, QEF relies on just 16,000 or so friends and supporters who enable us to help around 5,000 disabled children and adults every year. That’s an incredible one person helped by each four supporters – so you can see how what a vital role you play.