Neuro rehabilitation requires specialist treatment through a variety of therapies based on a detailed assessment of needs caused by brain injury, including physical, cognitive, emotional, behavioural and social.
Clinical Neuro Psychology: Inpatient and Outpatient Services
Assessment and treatment of behavioural, emotional and cognitive problems. Provides advice on building existing skills and abilities and how to reduce difficulties or disabilities.
Occupational Therapy: Inpatient and Outpatient Services
To develop independence in the daily tasks of dressing, washing, cooking and leisure activities. Also to help develop the skills that underlie these tasks as well as life skills such as budgeting and planning and of course to help find ways around any other problems.
Speech and Language Therapy: Inpatient and Outpatient Services
To improve communication skills. This may include expressing and understanding written and spoken language as well as improving clarity of speech. We also address swallowing difficulties and advise on how this might be managed.
Neuro Physiotherapy: Inpatient and Outpatient Services
Specialises in the treatment and management of people who have a neurological condition resulting from damage to their brain, spinal cord or nerves. It aims to identify and maximise movement potential and quality of life.
Specialist care from the nursing and rehabilitation teams provides a foundation for the rehabilitation programmes and help to implement the therapists' rehabilitation strategies.
Outpatient Neurotherapy Services
We offer private out-patient Neurotherapy to adult patients (aged over 18 ) with neurological disability resulting from pathological damage or trauma to the central nervous system.
Conditions treated include:
- Acquired brain injury
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Guillain-Barré Syndrome
- Spinal injury
- Primary CNS tumours (brain and spinal)
- Cerebral Palsy
- Other neurological and neurodegenerative conditions
- General balance and mobility/ability
- Speech, language and swallowing problems
- Functional problems with activities of daily living
- Cognition and memory
- Emotional and behavioural issues
David had a stroke in 1999. He visits NRS once a month, working with the outpatient physio team. He is full of praise:
“I’ve been coming here for six years, and it’s the best place in the area for physiotherapy. My arm needs to be kept flexible to avoid it tightening up and hurting, and the exercises they give me really help. I enjoy it here – the physios always have my best interests at heart.”
- The private out-patient service is provided between 9am - 4.45pm Monday to Fridays.
- Therapists are all experienced specialist neurotherapists.
- Services include 1:1 session based therapy at Banstead Place and/ or home visits for patients within a half hour radius of travel from Banstead Place.
- Sessions are hourly as standard, but the service can provide longer sessions by half hour increments up to 2 hours at patient’s request, and depending on service availability.
- Therapists will set tailored goals with the patients, to improve function and support self-management.
- Reports are provided as standard for insurance cases, and by request for self-funded patients.
- Therapists can attend patient hospital appointments within half hour travel of Banstead at patient’s request eg; orthotist, surgical opinions, wheelchair service, videofluoroscopy.