Car adaptations can help overcome physical limitations by using car controls or a change of driving technique.
We offer the opportunity to test drive a range of our adapted vehicles with an experienced approved driving instructor (ADI). From this initial assessment we can identify car adaptations that will optimise your driving experience.
The two-hour session includes:
- An interview to discuss car adaptation needs and aspirations
- A physical ability review, including muscle strength and range of movement
- Fine control and reaction times on a static rig car unit
- Advice on which car adaptations are best suited
- An opportunity to trial different car adaptations around our private track
Once car adaptation preferences are established, we will advise where the chosen product may be obtained and provide information on car conversion specialists.
Our driving instructors offer driving tuition, to ensure you can use the car adaptations confidently and practice them safely. Alternatively, we hold a register of driving instructors who have adapted cars and have been trained by us. There may be ADI with a suitable car near your home.
If you require advice on your overall driving competence and traffic management skills, as well as car adaptations, we recommend the Driving Ability Assessment.
The Car Adaptation Assessment is unsuitable for:
- drivers aged 70 and over;
- those with or seeking a provisional licence; or
- those with neurological conditions including stroke, dementia, head injury, memory difficulties and cerebral palsy.
If you are self-referring we are able to offer a subsidised appointment for £120. All other enquirers please contact the centre for an up to date price list.
Application form download: Car Adaptation Application